Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Beginning

I've decided to create this blog in order to track my personal progress into the wonderful world of dieting as well as be a source for others looking to do the same. For those that don't understand where my blog title came from, my friend Cory thought up the BiG 10 minus 20 because my target weight is 180lbs, roughly 20lbs less than where I'm at now... pretty catchy, huh?

Since this is the first blog I've ever created, I thought it'd be appropriate to have a little history about my past. In October of 2007, I joined L.A. Fitness with the hopes of shedding some pounds while gaining some muscle. Prior to this I was running about three times a week but was not obtaining the results I was looking for - which was mainly a smaller gut. At the peak of my weight loss, I was about 170lbs. Once I started going to the gym, the weight started packing on and I figured it was muscle weight. By the end of November, I was around 185 lbs. and doing pretty good, or so I thought. After the holidays, the pants weren't fitting as well and I was nearing the dreaded 200lbs mark. The warning lights started going off in my mind and soon I felt something more needed to be done.

I felt working out at the gym was not enough to reach the goals I was going for (smaller gut again) and my diet HAD to change. Several people in the past have had good success with the South Beach Diet so on Saturday night, I bought the book. On Monday morning, I weighed a portly 202.5 lbs. and to end my old eating habits, I ate a few pieces of homemade strawberry pie after dinner. What a way to go out!

Tuesday morning I officially started the South Beach Diet. For the first two weeks, which is considered Phase 1, I'll be eating lots of veggies, eggs, low fat cheese, and lean meat. I'm forbidden to munch on fruit, sugar, carbs, or starches. Phase 2 of the plan will slowly start to incorporate fruits and carbs back into my diet. Phase 3 is maintenance.

My breakfast on Tuesday was an omelet with low fat mozzarella cheese, fresh mushrooms, and slightly cooked asparagus. For snacks at 10:30am and 3:30pm, I ate some low fat mozzarella cheese sticks. Lunch was at El Pollo Loco and I did really good there because I ordered the 2 piece chicken, breast and wing, pinto beans, and steamed veggies. I took the yummy skin off the chicken, and passed on the flour tortillas. Dinner was pork chops from the grill, and an asortment of cooked veggies baked in the oven. These were sliced eggplant, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and an onion all drizzled with some olive oil. Dessert was a delicious cup of sugar-free Jello. I also went to the gym on Monday and Tuesday and did an arm workout on Monday, and a chest workout on Tuesday. I felt really good both days.

Today, Wednesday, was pretty much the same routine. You're not supposed to check your weight on a daily basis, but I've already lost 2 lbs from Monday morning. Once I get under the 200 lbs. mark, I'll be really motivated!

I'm going on vacation soon, so hopefully I'll lose enough weight and be able to maintain what I've lost while away. I have no expectations of losing weight and will likely go another week on the Phase 1 of the SBD.

1 comment:

©Ø®Ÿ said...

Good luck, man. Thanks for the title credit. I look forward to copying all your hard work and research. ;)